The annual updates to the ICD-10 and MS-DRG systems have been finalized and will be effective October 1. The ICD-10 and MS-DRG updates reflect the final Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) rule for fiscal year 2019, published by CMS on August 6. You can see the details on IPPS here.
Other highlights of the ICD-10-CM changes, include:
- There are approximately 247 new codes, 49 deletions and 139 code revisions
- Updated guidelines and new codes for both post-procedural infections of obstetrical and all other surgical wounds.
- Expansion of acute appendicitis codes to provide additional specificity when perforation, gangrene and abscess are also present.
- Expansion of anatomical specificity for all categories involving neoplasms of the eyelid to include not only laterality, but whether the upper or lower eyelid is affected.
- New codes for suspected or confirmed cases of adult and child sexual or labor exploitation.
The UASI training video provides full details.
This is the first of three one-hour video training courses we will be sharing. The next two training videos – covering ICD-10-PCS and MS-DRG updates– will be ready in September. Outpatient coders only need ICD-10-CM training, while inpatient coders need all three. For a recap of ICD-10 and MS-DRG Updates for FY 2019 click here.
Want More Training and Education?
- Blog: Subscribe for monthly coding tips. Learn more about UASI’s commitment to education
- Keep up with our insights on current trends – plus career opportunities and company news on LinkedIn. Twitter. Facebook.