The annual updates to the ICD-10 and MS-DRG systems have been finalized, effective October 1. The ICD-10 and MS-DRG updates reflect the final Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) rule for the fiscal year 2019, published by CMS on August 6. You can see the details on IPPS here.
Other highlights of the MS-DRG changes include:
- Grouper logic changes to accommodate the new ECMO codes that differentiate central versus percutaneous insertions.
- Ten existing pregnancy DRGs have been deleted and eighteen new DRGs have been established and the logic to assign DRGs in MDC 14 Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Puerperium have been completely revised and refined.
- Revision of the DRG logic to accommodate Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T-Cell therapy resulting in MS-DRG 016 Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant with CC/MCC to Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant with CC/MCC or T-cell Immunotherapy.
- MS-DRG 685 is being deleted and re-assigning of ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes Z49.01, Z49.02, Z49.31, and Z49.32 from MS-DRG 685 to MS-DRGs 698, 699, and 700.
The UASI training video provides full details.
This is the third and final one-hour video training course we will be sharing. The first covered ICD-10-CM, and the second covered ICD-10-PCS. Outpatient coders only need ICD-10-CM training, while inpatient coders need all three.
Want More Training and Education?
- Blog: Subscribe for monthly coding tips. Learn more about UASI’s commitment to education
- Keep up with our insights on current trends – plus career opportunities and company news on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook