Unlike 2023 with no new MS-DRG, the FY2024 changes include 15 new MS-DRGs, found in MDCs 04, 05 and 06. These MS-DRGs include:
Notable items in these new MS-DRGs include:
- New lithotripsy MS-DRGs involving the coronary arteries with or without an intraluminal device.
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) MS-DRGs revised to remove the distinction between drug-eluting and bare-metal coronary stents. MS-DRGs 246, 247, 248, and 249 are deleted for FY2024, replaced with MS-DRGs 321 and 322. Also, the titles for MS-DRGs 250 and 251 are revised to remove the wording of ‘coronary artery stent’ and replace it with ‘intraluminal device.’
- Cardiac Defibrillator MS-DRGs revised to remove AMI, HF or Shock from the description. MS-DRGs 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, and 227 are deleted, replaced with MS-DRGs 275, 276, and 277. Also, procedure codes describing cardiac catheterization now designated as non-O.R. procedure which impacts the MS-DRG.
- MS-DRGs related to Appendectomy procedures revised to remove the language of ‘complicated principal diagnosis.’ This includes the deletion of MS-DRGs 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, and 343, replaced with MS-DRGs 397, 398, and 399, with MCC, with CC and without MCC/CC, respectively.
- Finally, ICD-10-PCS code 0DTN4ZZ, Resection of sigmoid colon, percutaneous endoscopic approach, is moved from MS-DRGs 971, 982, and 983 to MS-DRGs 673, 674, and 675.
The FY2024 IPPS final rule home page can be found at: FY 2024 IPPS Final Rule Home Page | CMS