The FY 2024 ICD-10-CM guidelines have been released and are now available for review. While there aren’t a large amount of guideline changes and updates, there are several notable highlights in Section C, Chapter-Specific Coding Guidelines to be aware of:
- Section C.1.g.1.f: Screening for COVID-10
- For screening for COVID-19, including preoperative testing, assign code Z11.52, Encounter for screening for COVID-10.
- Section C.9.e.6: Myocardial Infarction with Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction
- Coronary microvascular dysfunction (CMD) is a condition that impacts the microvasculature by restricting microvascular flow and increasing microvascular resistance. Code I21.B, Myocardial infarction with coronary microvascular dysfunction, is assigned for myocardial infarction with coronary microvascular disease, myocardial infarction with coronary microvascular dysfunction, and myocardial infarction with non-obstructive coronary arteries (MINOCA) with microvascular disease.
- Section C.18.e: Coma
- R40.20, Unspecified coma should be assigned when the underlying cause of the coma is not known, or the cause is a traumatic brain injury and the coma scale is not documented in the medical record.
- Section C.18.e.1: Coma Scale
- The coma scale codes (r40.21- to R40.24-) can be used in conjunction with traumatic brain injury. These codes cannot be used with R40.2A, Nontraumatic coma due to underlying condition. They are primarily for use by trauma registries, but they may be used in any setting where this information is collected. The coma scale codes should be sequenced after the diagnosis code(s).
- Section C.21.c.4: History (of)
- Addition of code: Z91.85 – Personal history of military service
- Section C.21.c.8: Follow-up
- Codes Z08, Encounter for follow-up examination after completed treatment for malignant neoplasm, and Z09, Encounter for follow-up examination after completed treatment for conditions other than malignant neoplasm, may be assigned following any type of completed treatment modality (including both medical and surgical treatments).
- Section C.21.c.14: Miscellaneous Z Codes
- Addition of code: Z91.A- Caregiver’s noncompliance with patient’s medical treatment and regimen
The complete ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting document can be found at : ICD-10-CM Guidelines FY2024 (cms.gov) on the CMS website.